5th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on physical fitness.
• Students will learn more about physical fitness.
• Students will complete an online exercise by choosing a sport and reading about it. They will then write a paragraph describing the activities involved in the sport and the health benefits the sport promotes.
This site is presented by PBS Kids. Titled "It's My Life," it deals with the issues kids routinely face. The site has resources for parents and teachers as well.
• Have students talk about the importance of physical fitness in their everyday lives.
• Have students discuss ways they can help people who have difficulties performing everyday activities because of a physical disability.
• Have students connect to http://www.boundlessplaygrounds.org/index.html. Then have students:
drag their cursor to Playground Tour, located in the toolbar at the top of the page, and click on Virtual Playground Tour from the drop• down menu that appears. Have students read the instruction page that appears and then click on Enter. Have students click on of the white circles to read the details of the playground. Note: You can move the navigation bar if it gets in the way, and the directional arrows work only when the magnification view is close to the ground.
talk about why the playground is important and how it benefits everyone. design and draw their own playground. Have them incorporate the needs of all into their design. Then have them explain how their playground functions.