Early Political Parties
5th Grade, Research and Inquiry Activities
1. Connect to this link: http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/eras.html#top.
2. Read the information shown at the top of the chart under the "Time Period" and "Historical Era" headers.
3. Finds and select The Young Republic to read about the American government after the Revolutionary War. What was democratic about the early American government?
4. Click on partisan politics to learn about the first American political parties. Who led the different parties?
5. Make a chart below showing the names of the early political parties as well as the names of some of the political parties that exist today. Connect the early parties to today's by listing what beliefs they shared in common. Can you see how the first parties influenced those that exist today?
To read more about political parties, go to http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761580668/political_parties.html.