3rd Grade Oral Language Resources
Students will:• Learn about life on the continent of Antarctica.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about Antarctic life.
• Explore and apply understanding of Antarctica.
Students will:• Demonstrate an understanding of Antarctica.
• Orally use words that identify different animals and weather conditions in Antarctica.
• Extend oral vocabulary by discussing Antarctic life.
• Use key concept words [penguin, seal, orca, ice, polar, Antarctica].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that students are going to learn about the concept of Antarctic life:
• Antarctica is a large, frozen continent at the southern tip of the globe.
• It is so cold in Antarctica that only certain animals can survive there.
• Scientists make trips to Antarctica to study the weather and wildlife, but they must be very well• prepared for the cold.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask students: What do you see on this map of Antarctica? (a penguins, snow, ice, people in warm coats).
• Ask students: What is the weather like in Antarctica? (very cold, harsh, icy, snowy).
• Say: Antarctica is so cold, only certain animals can live there year• round. Would you like to live in Antarctica? Why or why not? (answers will vary).
Guided Practice• Guide students through the next five slides, showing them different kinds of Antarctic animals. Always have the students discuss whether those animals could be found elsewhere.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask students to discuss why they think the animals that live in Antarctica can survive the cold. After the second game, have them propose ideas about why scientists would want to spend time in Antarctica.
Close• Ask students: If you took a trip to Antarctica, what would you expect to see? What would you have to bring with you?
• Summarize for students that Antarctica is one of the seven continents. Antarctica is very cold all• year long. Encourage students to think about what the other continents are.