6th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to learn about volcanoes.
• Students will watch a movie explaining how volcanoes form and erupt.
• Students will take an interactive quiz about volcanoes.
Yahooligans! is an Internet guide for children. It features a variety of educational BrainPOP animated movies with science• related themes. The interactive quiz directs students to the correct answers.
• Have students conduct a science experiment by building a model volcano. Direct them to the Yahooligans! homepage where they can perform a search for "Volcano." Here they will find instructions on how to build a model volcano from different sources.
• Have students connect to http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/volc_images.html. Have students:
select a region and list the names of three volcanoes found there.
find the United States and look at the names of the volcanoes located there. Which volcano is closest to where they live?
find and select the volcano located closest to where they live on the Web site. Have them search the Internet for more information about the volcano, and determine exactly how far away the volcano is from school.