Energy: Power Source
4th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to research and inquire about energy.
• Students will read about the amount of garbage an average American throws away each day and answer questions based on their reading.
• Students will make a list of things they throw away on a typical day and brainstorm ways to reduce the amount of waste they produce.
The Energy Kids Page educates kids on energy production. This page shows how we can save energy by recycling and reducing our garbage.
• Have students scroll down to the section titled Taking Action—What Can You Do? Have them read through to the end. Then, have students discuss which of the tips they are likely to use and why.
• Have students connect to http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/saving_energy/index.html and scroll down to the tips that begin with Fight the Light! Then have students:
read the tips from Fight the Light! to In the Bedroom. Discuss one of the tips with a partner and how that tip applies to your life.
read the tips and jot down one practical tip from each section.
read the tips and make a list of how to save energy. Have students put one of the tips into action.