4th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to research different kinds of personal letters.
• Students will look at examples of different kinds of letters.
• Students will write personal letters to friends.
This Web site was created by Gallaudet University. It explores different kinds of letter writing, providing samples, tips, and helpful words to use.
• Have students use the Web site to research how to write a business letter. Have them think about a dream job, and write a sample letter of their own to apply for it.
• Have students create their own language, consisting of hieroglyphics used to represent different things in and around the classroom. Have them create a key and use it to write and translate letters.
• Have students connect to http://www.youthonline.ca/penpals/snailmail.shtml. Then have students:
read the Snail Mail Writing Tips.
use the tips they find on this site to edit the personal letter they wrote to a friend.
connect to http://www.youthonline.ca/penpals/penpalsforkids.shtml to find a pen pal in a different country and begin correspondence.