5th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• The students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on national monuments.
• The students will learn more about national monuments.
• The students will complete an online exercise by choosing a national monument and writing about its history and what it means to them.
This site is presented by U.S. National Park Service. The site is dedicated to educating and informing people about America's natural and man made resources.
• Have students talk about the importance of national monuments.
• Have students discuss the various types of national monuments.
Have the students connect to http://www.nps.gov/stli/prod02.htm. Then have students:
scroll down to read the entire page about the Statue of Liberty.
pretend they are a tour guide. Then have them take a blank sheet of paper and write down the things they would tell a tourist visiting the statue for the very first time.
have students draw a picture of the statue. Then have them pretend that some of their classmates are tourist and they are the tour guides. Then have the guides give a tour of the statue, to the tourist, using the picture of the statue.