6th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on natural disasters.
• Students will learn more about natural disasters.
• Students will complete an online exercise by reading about how natural disasters occur. The students will also draw a picture illustrating how a natural disaster may occur.
This site is presented by PBS. The site is from PBS's "Savage Earth" television series. The site is dedicated to exploring our natural world. The site has resources for teachers.
• Have students talk about the different kinds of natural disasters that occur in the world.
• Have students discuss the destructive power of natural disasters.
• Have students connect to: http://www.fema.gov/kids/dizarea.htm. Then have students:
click on all the icons picturing a natural disaster to learn more about them.
talk about the various ways people can stay safe during a natural disaster. Then have students choose a natural disaster and give an oral safety plan report for that disaster.
think up a scenario where there is a natural disaster about to occur and they must plan for their safety. Have students act out the safety preparations scenario in class.