National Spelling Bee
5th Grade, Research and Inquiry Activities
2. This Web page lists the names of previous winners of the National Spelling Bee and the word that they correctly spelled to win. Do you know any of these words?
3. Click on Spellers at the top of the Web page. Find your state, or a state near you, and click on the names of the spellers in your state who will be in the next National Spelling Bee. What are some hobbies that these successful spellers enjoy?
4. Which hobbies do you think help these amazing spellers to become better spellers? Why?
5. Click Statistics at the top of the Web page. Read through the statistics about the spellers who will be competing in the National Spelling Bee. How many spellers will be competing who are the same age as you?
6. Pretend you are going to be a contestant in the National Spelling Bee. On a separate piece of paper, write a short paragraph describing yourself, your interests, and your achievements. Make sure you include any hobbies that you think have helped you to become a better speller.
For more information and tips on spelling, go to: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/spelling.htm.