1st Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the computer to do research and inquiry on recycling.
• Children will think about recyclables made from different materials.
• Children will use a paint program on the computer to draw an invention they think of using certain recyclables made from different materials.
• Have children print out their pictures and present their inventions to the class. Hold a class vote to determine the most imaginative invention. If possible, gather the recyclable materials and put the invention together.
• Discuss with children which materials are bio• degradable and which are not. Choose several items composed of a variety of materials, including both recyclables and items that are bio• degradable, such as a banana peel. Bury them in the playground or somewhere close to the school. Return to the site a few weeks later to see what has happened to each item.