Yorick the Bionic Skeleton
6th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on bionics.
• Students will learn about bionic devices that are currently available and look at close• up photographs of them.
• Students will print a diagram of a bionic skeleton, then invent a new medical device and draw it on the skeleton.
This site is provided by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The Web site also features information on products the FDA regulates and current health• related news.
• Have students list what they think are the three most important bionic devices on Yorick and write one or two sentences stating why.
• Have students choose one bionic device on Yorick and write a paragraph about what difficulties people would face without the real body part, as well as struggles they would face in becoming accustomed to the bionic device.
• Have students connect to: http://archives.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/02/18/bionic.humans/index.html. Then ask them to:
read the article. Does it mention any of the same medical devices that Yorick has?
read this article, which is from 2002. Have students search the Internet for more recent information about bionics. Has any further progress been made on anything mentioned in this article?
draw and label a medical illustration showing something discussed in the article. Have them present this to the class.