Rhythm and Music
1st Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the Internet to draw a picture of a Native American drum.
• Children will demonstrate how to use a paint program.
• Children will print from the Internet.
• Have children look back at the picture they painted. Have them add to the painting, either on the computer or by hand, a scene from Native American life where the drum would be used.
• Make drums and rattles for the class. Have each child choose which instrument they would like to make. Collect coffee tins for making the drums. Have children decorate the tins with paper grocery bags to look like Native American drums. Follow the directions in "Shake a Rattle" to make the rattles. Have a pow• wow and music time for the children to use their instruments.