Our National Parks
4th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on national parks.
• Students will learn about animals that live in national parks
• Students will read fact sheets about the animals.
• Students will answer questions about the animals based on the facts they read.
This Web page is part of the official Web site of Yellowstone National Park. Other links include a more advanced Scavenger Hunt in which children need to search for the answers to certain questions and coloring and alphabet activities for younger children.
• Have the students click once again on Game 4. Towards the bottom of the page is a link called What is the difference between antlers and horns? Have students read the text and discuss the difference between antlers and horns with the class. You may also choose to have students write a brief paragraph describing the difference.
• Have the students connect to http://www.nps.gov/redw/kids.html. Then have students:
play Listen and Learn, in which they must identify the sounds made by different animals.
play Home Sweet Home, in which they must identify where animals of the redwoods live.
take the Redwood Trivia quiz.