How Animals Grow
2nd Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on the life cycle of butterflies.
• Children will learn more about the different stages of development of butterflies.
• Children will read about the different stages of of the life cycle of a butterfly. They will then draw their own butterfly life cycle.
This page outlining the life cycle of butterflies is from an educational Web site. It features information about the butterfly life cycle along with printouts and activities.
• Have the children identify other creatures in the animal kingdom that have similar life cycles. Ask them to compare and contrast them in a class discussion.
• Have the children connect to http://www.kiddyhouse.com/Themes/frogs/lifecycle.html. Ask children to:
Look at the life cycle of a frog and read the information.
Talk about how the life cycle of a frog is different from the life cycle of a butterfly.
List the ways the the life cycles of a frog and butterfly are different and how they are the same.