Early Political Parties
5th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to learn about early American political parties.
• Students will read and answer questions about early American political parties.
• Students will create a chart comparing the first American political parties to those that exist today.
This Web site provides a timeline of American history beginning in the 17th century, and information about the important events and people included therein.
• Have students present their charts to the class and explain what they discovered.
• Have students earch the Internet for more information about today's political parties. What does each party believe? What symbols are associated with the parties, and why?
• Have students connect to: http://www.allamericanpatriots.com/m• wfsection+article+articleid• 622.html. Then ask them to: look through the list of American presidents and their political parties. How many different parties do they see? create a chart listing the different political parties shown, and how many members of each have been elected president. What party has had the most members elected president? research the history and beliefs of the political party that has been most successful in electing American presidents. Ask them to try to come up with a theory as to why the particular party has had so much success.