2nd Grade Oral Language Resources
Children will:• Learn about the concept of how plants grow.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about plant parts.
• Explore and apply the concept of of how plants grow to the ideas about what helps plants to grow.
Children will:• Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of plants alive.
• Orally use words that describe plants and plant parts.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about what helps plants to grow.
• Use key concept words [stem, leaf, root, seed, soil, grow].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that children are going to learn about:
• What plants are.
• Plant parts.
• What helps plants to grow.
• What does not help plants to grow.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask children: What will this seed turn into when it grows? (plant). What does this seed need to grow? (water, soil, sunlight).
• Ask children: Why does a plant have roots? (to get food from the soil).
• Say: We find plants in many places. We have a plant in our classroom. or We have plants growing outside. Where are some places that we find plants? (homes, gardens, fields, woods, farms etc.)
Guided Practice• Guide children through the next four slides, showing them the different parts of a plant. Always have the children predict what part or parts the plant will grow next.
Apply• Have children play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask children to name the parts of the plant and help the children learn more about the kinds of plants they are interested in. After the second game, ask children to tell each other about plants they see every day. Have them discuss the kinds of plant they would choose to grow. Would it provide food? Would it have beautiful flowers? Would it have long vines?
Close• Ask children: How would you take care of the plant you chose? Explain.
• Summarize for children that we can help a plant grow by giving it soil and water and making sure it gets plenty of sunlight. Encourage children to think about how the things that plants need are different from and the same as the things that animals need.