Helping Planet Earth
2nd Grade Oral Language Resources
Children will:• Learn about the concept of helping planet Earth.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about bad things that hurt the Earth.
• Explore and apply the concept of things that hurt the Earth to ways we can help.
Children will:• Demonstrate an understanding of pollution.
• Orally use words that describe different ways to help the Earth.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about why we should help our planet Earth.
• Use key concept words [trash, oil spills, litter, cars, factories, air pollution].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that children are going to learn about:
• What pollution is.
• What land pollution is and how we can help stop it.
• What air pollution is and how we can help stop it.
• What water pollution is and how we can help stop it.
Model• After the host introduces the slide show, point to the photo on screen. Ask children: How does our planet look from Earth? (green, blue, round). Why do you think we should help stop pollution? (make our planet clean, improve our health, help animals).
• Proceed to the next slide. Ask children: Can you think of a place where we could pick up litter? (answers will vary).
• Say: We can help keep our school and community clean by picking up litter. Why do you think we should pick up litter? (looks nice, make us healthier).
Guided Practice• Guide children through the next two slides, showing the different kinds of pollution and how we can help prevent it or stop it. Always have the children think of a place where they have noticed that kind of pollution.
Apply• Have children play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask children to talk about the kinds of pollution they've seen in their communities. After the second game, have them discuss ways that they could help clean up their communities.
Close• Ask children: What are some ways that we can stop pollution at our school? Explain.
• Summarize for children that pollution is bad for our planet Earth. We can help the Earth by getting rid of pollution in the land, air, and water. Encourage children to think about how they're school could help the Earth.