6th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on personification in poetry.
• Students will learn how to recognize and use personification in poetry by detecting it via interactive practice sessions. They will read samples of classic poems that use personification.
• Students will write a poem using personification.
The glossary of poetic terms is hosted by Bob's Byway, a Web site created and maintained by a writer and poet to provide references and resources to others in his field.
• Have students go to http://www.shadowpoetry.com/resources/famous/poets.html. Ask them to find a poem that uses personification. Have them print the poem, illustrate it, and share it with the class.
• Have students go to http://www.shadowpoetry.com/index.html.Have them open the Resources dropdown menu in the top menu bar. Then ask them to:
click on Famous Poets in the second menu bar from the top and choose a poet about whose life and work they would like to learn.
write a poem based upon what they have learned.
present a poem of his or her choice to the class. Each student should read the poem out loud and then describe his or her interpretation of the work.